Wednesday 21 May 2014

When I first began Bikram Yoga...

I am sure i still do a few things that maybe in a year or two would maybe make an appearance on this list, but here are some of the crazy things i did when i first began Bikram yoga back in 2009, i grew out of them all lol :-)

Extra towel:  Concerned about getting acne spots from putting my face in the midst of my very sweaty towel I used to bring an extra little towel especially for the floor series to put my face on.  I kept this up for quite a while, even though my nice face towel also then got really sweaty and so was a bit pointless...

Blowing my body:  In the beginning days I decided it would be a lovely idea to provide my own air conditioning by blowing my body throughout class.  I would be in poses like standing separate leg stretching and blowing cool air onto my belly from my mouth.  It felt quite nice, though i'm guessing completely mucked up my breathing and dehydrated my mouth.  I did this for months and months until i grew out of it.

Pretending to do standing separate leg head to knee pose.  In my first classes when i heard the teacher say one of the benefits of the posture was that it regulated your metabolism i backed out of the posture.  I have a fast metabolism and freaked out at the fact it might regulate it/make it slower.  I did this for ages... happy to say that now i do do the posture fully, and that i am still the same weight...

Full on warm up before every class.  I used to go to evening sessions after i had done a full on 3hr handstand and bendy training session, i must have looked so bendy.  I didn't want to go without it as i felt i needed it...  Now i settle for a quick 10-20 min stretch in the yoga studio, i still appreciate a bridge and some lunges.  Tbh I would probably still love to do a full on warm up except now i go to morning sessions and i am a sleepyhead and usually get up and go straight to yoga.

There are likely more, some i probably don't even know about or can not remember, if i remember any i will update this post :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment