Wednesday 21 May 2014

My two worlds of bendiness

I have these two worlds - my yoga world, and my contortion world.  They overlap so much and yet they differ so so much.

Both worlds are worlds where i bend and balance my body into extreme positions.

My contortion and handbalance world is a world of creativity, extravagant costumes and make up, taking solid foundations/moves and embellishing them with a uniqueness to make them mine.  Doing crazy positions and having the freedom to do exactly what i want to do.  Choreographing all of this to music.  Wearing lots of sparkles and make up.  And that is just the bit people see.  Behind every performance is a massive amount of time spent doing administration and a wealth of other things that enables me to be a freelance performer.  Having the best skills or acts is nothing if you don't have the abilities to promote these and do all the tedious admin to go alongside it.

My yoga world began after my contortion and handbalance world.  I entered this world of set asanas, but a world which has developed me greatly, it took me back to the foundations for flexibility and corrected bad form and technique, it made me work both sides, it continually corrects my bad habits, it continually develops me in many ways including but no way exclusively my flexibility and strength and teaches me what i missed when i taught myself.  It teaches me discipline, and has made me a healthier person in mind and in body.

I love both worlds.



No comments:

Post a Comment